Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Acrylic paints

I though I could find Finity Acrylic paint from Winsor Newton at bookstores but I couldn't find them :(
(they only carry the Galleria line)
then, d'oh.... I just found out Winsor n Newton have a new name for their Artist line, it's now called the "Artists' Acrylics"
(it was Finity Artists' Acrylic before....so they just omit the name Finity)


Anyhoo
I bought all my paints long time ago and luckily most of them haven't dried up yet otherwise I'd have to spend quite a fortune buying new paints.
coz.... I don't really mix color ;p
I know some ppl can mix and obtain every color just with 3 basic color, red, yellow, blue
but I can't and honestly, I just love looking at all the different color in my collections.
I know I know, they're not to be looked at, they're to be used in paintings !!!

but either way... it's kinda hard to get Artists' grade paint here, not that I'm a professional artist or anything, but if I'm gonna spend roughly the same price, why buy the student grade ?
I know the student grade are probably safer because they're "non toxic" but the ego in me just want the Artist grade paint. ;p oh well.

but good news....
I called this art supply store and they can deliver....... yippieeeeeeeee
we don't have a lot of art supply stores like in the US.... they're rare here ;p
I can go to the store myself but traffic is super crazy and I don't want to spend hours in the car
So....... problem solved........ will be getting my paints in..... errr............ 4 days ? let's see :)
I need Burnt umber, Burnt Sienna, Mars Black, Permanent Rose

In the mean time,
(not advertising for Winsor n Newton, but this might be useful because in the beginning I didn't know which color to buy)
Here is the recommended basic palette for Artists' Acrylic by Winsor Newton :
Lemon Yellow, Azo Yellow Medium, Cadmium Red Light, Permanent Rose, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue Green Shade, Phthalo Green Blue Shade, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna and Titanium White.



If you want to use just three primary colours they suggest
Azo Yellow Medium, Phthalo Blue Red Shade and Permanent Rose.

More here :
http://acrylics.winsornewton.com/en/usingartistsacrylics/colourpalettes/

I didn't remember what color paints I bought when I started out but I researched and researched and I just got kinda lost, but then I bought a few colors that was recommended by artists or by the paint manufacturer, and after a while, little by little, I just bought more because I thought I might need them, in the end, I think I got all the colors I need :)
at least for now.

How to clean up the brushes and tube caps here :
http://acrylics.winsornewton.com/en/usingartistsacrylics/cleaningup/

No matter what I do, my brushes don't really get cleaned thoroughly, I mean, they're still ok to use, but not clean clean, maybe I have a monk-ish side ;p
that's why I prefer cheap brushes, I don't feel guilty if I ruin them and I'm still experimenting at this stage, so :)

btw, I have Liquitex too, but they're harder to find here.
they're just as good, I think
and I've read that they say how you're not supposed to mix different paint brands because of bla bla bla.....
I mixed them (Liquitex & Winsor Newton, both Artist grade) and they turn out okay..... but it's just me :)

pictures from winsornewton.com

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails